I know that a lot of time has passed between my last posting and this one. Part of that was dealing with the holidays and part has been trying to bust my butt to get other projects done to apply for Hatch, as the deadline is in just a few days. What is Hatch? In short, it is a creative re-use art fest that will be taking place this March in Champaign, IL. For more information, please see The Official Hatch Info Page.
Since last I posted I have completed the purse. I’ve been working on it here and there for the past month and actually just finished it off about 20 minutes prior to writing this entry. If you haven’t already read parts 1 and 2, check them out here: Part 1 & Part 2.
When I left off last time, I had transferred the Buddha image onto the purse but had not yet begun embroidery. For those of you that follow the Facebook page, you’ve already had a sneak peak at the progress on the embroidery. If you haven’t, well, do you see that little Facebook thing to the side? You should click the “Like” button. I’ll wait for you. … Done? Good. Here’s how Buddha turned out:
After Buddha was done, I began work on the lining. I used an old cotton bed sheet I picked up from a second hand store awhile back. I added an inside pocket on one side of the lining, which proved to be a bit of a pain. If I make anymore, I’m using a zippered opening. I also added two more smaller pockets to what should have been the back pockets of the pants. I hate how so many women’s pants have fake decoration pockets. Maybe we might actually want to put something back there, huh? Maybe it’s just me. I’d also like to see more women’s pants with functional cargo pockets. Before I started carrying a purse regularly (which became a necessity for transporting yarn), I used to wear men’s cargo jeans almost exclusively (I’ve actually discussed this before). Anyhow, here’s some pictures. First the back pockets:
Now, the lining:
The lining actually turned out to be not as deep as the purse itself, partly because I merely estimated the dimensions while laying the purse flat on the floor. I can always go back in and fix it later, but it’s good enough for now. I used part of the pant legs to make the handles. I made two. I cut 2 strips that were about 3 in x 30 in. Striped material is quite nice for nice straight lines.
The pants themselves had 4 nice belt loops that were more or less evenly spaced and ended up being the same width as the finished straps, so it was only natural for me to feed them into each other. Although I play hell feeding that much fabric through my machine, I think it came out quite nice.